Our friends at the Kansas City Regional Transit Alliance have made a great video to help tell the developer’s story about how the KC Streetcar investment inspired their developments, and how others can help in continuing to realize economic development benefits from our transit investment.
Click video below to view
Downtown Development by the Numbers
Streetcars do more than simply improve mobility. In Kansas City, the entire community is looking to the Downtown Streetcar to fuel economic growth. By promoting development, raising property values, attracting businesses and residents, and helping to redefine our city, streetcars benefit everyone.
Since the KC Streetcar project received final approval in late 2012, there has been tremendous development and growth in downtown:
– $1.5 billion in new downtown development
– 94 major private development projects
– 3,247 new residential units
– At least 7 projects have sited the KC Streetcar as a “major positive factor” in decision making
– At least 9 new hotel developments are on the books.
(This data is current as of November 2015)
Downtown Streetcar TDD Project Incentive & Coordination Program
The City of Kansas City, Mo. recognizes the significant benefits private development along the streetcar line will bring to our downtown. In an effort to support projects within the Downtown Streetcar TDD, the City has established a project incentive and coordination program.
Program highlights include:
- Project Facilitator Program
- Development Assistance Team meetings
- Project Coordination Meetings
- Expedited plans review and permitting turnaround times
- Infrastructure assessment tools
- Performance metrics and measures to monitor program effectiveness