- Business Resources
- Development and Revitalization
- Growth Areas
- International Business
- Contact Us
Telecommunications, Transportation and Distribution
Business Solutions Infrastructure
Electric and Telecommunication Infrastructure
- Kansas City has a world-class telecommunications and electric infrastructure and is a point of convergence for transcontinental fiber and related communications networks.
- Transmission systems serving Kansas City are designed and built on “first contingency” basis, so the loss of any particular generator or transmission line has no effect on supplies across the region.
- In general, electric systems here are less interconnected and less densely populated than those on the East and West Coasts, and Kansas City is a very unlikely candidate for energy blackouts.
- KCP&L (Kansas City Power & Light), which serves more than 80% of the region’s customers, consistently ranks among the best at providing constant, uninterrupted electric service.
- The metro is home to Sprint’s world headquarters, and Sprint has deployed a set of four MAN (Major Area Network) rings throughout the Kansas City area, an architecture designed to provide self-healing capabilities during fiber cuts and electronic outages.
- The city’s state-of-the-art technology landscape includes a carrier hotel, 1102 GRAND, the largest carrier neutral facility in the Kansas City Metro area and one of the fastest growing of its kind in the Midwest.
Transportation and Distribution Network
- Kansas City is the most geo-central major market in the nation and offers a robust multimodal transportation and distribution network.
- We are the largest rail center in the United States by tonnage and located at the center of a rail corridor spanning coast-to-coast and extending from Canada to Mexico (NAFTA Railway) with more than 300 trains arriving and departing each day.
- Kansas City has more Foreign Trade Zone space than any other U.S. city (over 10,000 acres).
- We have more underground warehouse space, which provides for climate controlled conditions year round, than any U.S. city.
- Two intermodal logistics parks are currently under development in the Kansas City area with additional Class A industrial space being built on a speculative basis.
- The metro area has more freeway-lane miles per capita than any other U.S. city, and is one of only five U.S. cities where four interstate highways intersect (I-35, I-70, I-29, I-49).
- We are the No. 3 trucking center in the U.S. with single-day truck access to nearly every major Midwestern market.
- Kansas City International Airport – which is ranked No. 1 among mid-sized airports for customer experience – offers 200 daily departures by 11 major airlines with non-stop flights to nearly 50 destinations.
- The Kansas City area moves more air cargo in a six state area than any other region in the U.S.
Low Natural Disaster Area
- Being centrally located reduces the likelihood KC-based operations will become a target for disruption.
- If a disruption occurs, Kansas City is within a day’s driving distance of a number of metropolitan areas that could support temporary relocation and recovery plans.
- Historically, strong earthquakes have not occurred in the region, and the Kansas City area is subject to a relatively low threat of significant seismic activity.
- Just around the corner...#KCCornerstone Awards May 11th, 4-6:30PM at @UnionStationKC RSVP: https://t.co/S5rb00tKpb, 3 hours ago
- Great big thx you to all our #B2B sponsors for the 5/11 #KCCornerstone event! https://t.co/14VkjsQJBI https://t.co/JXqzwL5Ues, 6 hours ago
- RT @kcur: Kansas City young audiences plans new home in former Midtown Office Max https://t.co/mc9DUneNLR https://t.co/HljHDYs3BI, 7 hours ago
- RT @helixKC: It's an honor to work with @kcpolice and @macapartments on their @EDCKC Cornerstone Award winning projects! https://t.co/AJYrPlf0eA, 7 hours ago
- Congratulations to the 10 Cornerstone 2016 Award Winners!By EDCKC Staff on May 2, 2016
- Mayor James Welcomes Fourth National Conference On MicrogridsBy EDCKC Staff on April 20, 2016